Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do I change my return so I don't have to complete the self-business I had since I don't make any income from that any longer?

I don't have the income from my personal business anymore so I don't want to pay for that portion of my return since it's no longer pertinent.
1 Reply
Level 15

How do I change my return so I don't have to complete the self-business I had since I don't make any income from that any longer?

Did you report to the IRS on your 2015 tax return that your business was sold, closed or otherwise disposed of? If you did not, then the IRS is expecting a SCH C from you for 2016. If they don't get one and they're expecting it, then it will come back to bite you about 24-36 months after you file a return without it.

If you had in fact, reported your business sale, closure or other disposition on the 2015 tax return in it's entirety, then you would have been given the choice of what flavor of TurboTax to start with on your 2016 return. Your business is not sold, closed or disposed of until you have done all of the following:

              • Closed SCH C Business

You need to report your business as "sold or otherwise disposed of".

Start working through your business "as if" you still own it. On the 2nd or 3rd screen in select the option for "I sold, closed or otherwise disposed of this business in 2016". If prompted for the date, enter the day after you last day of business in 2016.

If your business had no income in the tax year, you can not leave the business income section blank. You 'must' enter a digit, even if that digit is a ZERO.

If you had no business expenses, then you can leave that blank and don't even have to work that section through, if you don't want to.

If your business carried an inventory, the end of year (EOY) inventory must be zero. If it's not, then in the COGS section indicate that you removed all of the remaining inventory for personal use. that effectively makes your EOY inventory balance, zero.

If your business had assets, then you must show the disposition of those assets. In the Business Assets section work through each individual asset on at a time, and select YES on the screen, "DId you stop using this asset in 2016?". Then on the next screen, "Special Handling Required?" if you sold the asset, select no and you will be prompted for your sales information on that specific asset. If you did NOT sell the asset, click the YES button. You must do this for each individual asset listed, even if it's already fully depreciated.

If you claimed any vehicle expenses in your business at any time from the day you opened your business, then you must most show the disposition of that vehicle. Work through the Business Vehicle Expenses section and indicate that you stopped using that asset in the business, when prompted. Then show your disposition of that vehicle. Most likely, you'll indicate that it was removed for personal use.

Once you have done all the above, that will make the 2016 tax year the last year you will file a SCH C for this specific business.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies