turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How Do I change my filing status to Married filing separately? Even if the recommendation is to file as head of household.

I need to make amend.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How Do I change my filing status to Married filing separately? Even if the recommendation is to file as head of household.

"I need to make amend."

If you already filed a joint return for 2018 it is too late to amend the return and file married filing separately.  The rules do not allow you to change from a joint return to separate returns after the filing deadline, which was April 15, 2019.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

while I agree it's too late to change, why would you want to do this in any event?  it's quite unusual that filing married- separate has a better outcome. what are the specific circumstances that cause you to want to do this? 

The poster never said anything about "Married filing Jointly" - the poster asked how NOT to file *Head of Household* which TurboTax will recommend if the unmarried (or considered unmarried) tax payer has a dependent and otherwise qualifies.

You can always change the filing status to force another filing status, but again - why would you want to not file HOH if you qualify for the larger standard deduction for HOH?

@jmarron310 - please clarify the original filing status on the first filed tax return.   If it actually was Married Filing Jointly then the other comments apply - it cannot be changed after April 15, 2019 unless you actually were not married at all, in which case you need professional help since that cannot be fixed by amending.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22 You're right--I might have misinterpreted the original question.  We need clarity on what filing status has already been used for the 2018 return that @jmarron310 says needs to be amended.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies