As long as you have not actually filed (mailed or efiled), here's how to change filing methods if TurboTax thinks you are finished:
- Log in and go to your 2016 Tax Timeline.
- If TurboTax thinks you are finished, there will be no orange "Take me to my return" button.
- So in that case, scroll down to "Some things you can do."
- Choose "Add a State." (you don't really add one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
- Once the return is open, go through the REVIEW tab to be sure all is still in order.
- Then go through the FILE tab and change the filing method to "efile."
- Then be sure you go all the way to the end to the final screen which has a button "Transmit Returns Now" and click that.
NOTE: Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.) If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.