Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I apply for a refund for my Florida Tax return. I was charged $50, but there was no printout of a Florida tax return, just the mailing instructions.

When I went to the automated help section it told me that I should not have paid for a Florida return, and to apply for a refund.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I apply for a refund for my Florida Tax return. I was charged $50, but there was no printout of a Florida tax return, just the mailing instructions.

Florida does not have an income tax so I don't know what the $50 was for. contact support

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact
800-446-8848

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Florida does not have an income tax so I don't know what the $50 was for. contact support

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact
800-446-8848

FL has an  TANGIBLE Property  tax  and if you don't enter in any information then only the instructions are printed out ... in the future READ the screen carefully when it explained this as you had the option to SKIP the state so you don't have to get a refund for your error ... 

florida.PNG

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Mike9241 wrote:

Florida does not have an income tax so I don't know what the $50 was for.

TurboTax includes Form DR-405, which is filed with the county and, essentially, involves an ad valorem tax on personal property that is used in connection with a Florida-located business or rental real estate.

The due date for Form DR-405 does not even line up with the federal return (it is due by April 1st of the current tax year) so it is a mystery as to why this form is included.

Yes, it had me go through the process to determine that I this form was not needed, but it then invited me to continue to pay for filing a Florida Tax return. I read it carefully, backed out and read it again, and was left with the impression that as a small business owner, I still had to file a Florida return. The fact that the algorithm was leading me to pay $50 for a return convinced me that there must be a return to file. It didn't occur to me that the app would take my $50 and send me just mailing instructions, without any actual return. That's a bug.

Thank you. The help article I was led to specifically told me to submit to the user forum my request for a refund. I couldn't find anything more direct on my own. Thanks for the link.

My error? I read that screen, the one previous, other help screens, and even googled the topic, and was convinced that I still needed to file a Florida return. I even backed out and read it all again before proceeding. The fact that the app took my money for a non-existent return and sent me only mailing instructions - that's an error, or more properly, a bug.

Thank you for the information - I'll do that.

Who Must File Florida tangible personal property tax return?

WHO MUST FILE A RETURN? Any business owner or self-employed contractor owning tangible personal property on January 1st must file a return each year as required by Florida Statutes 193.052 and 193.062. Property owners that loan, lease or rent tangible property to others must also report such property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies