Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

How do I adjust my w4's so I don't pay taxes at the end of the year?

Last year I had to pay $307 in taxes after all was said and done. I cannot tell if that was because the Child Tax credit was distributed in payment during the tax year in 2021. I continue to get raises and that is definitely putting me in an different tax bracket. I have me, my wife, and a 7 year old daughter. We file married jointly and on my pay stubs there is something under the federal section that says

Claim Dependent: $2000


Under State Section  (CA): Allowances: 3



1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

How do I adjust my w4's so I don't pay taxes at the end of the year?

Hello beltrami33!


You are asking how to avoid owing taxes when you file next year. To do that you need to (update ) increase your withholding with a W-4 and give it to your HR department.


  • In Step 1 - be sure to state you are Married Filing Jointly
  • In Step 3 - be sure to include your qualifying child 
  • In Step 4(c) - add an additional tax  you want withheld each pay period.

Here is our tax calculator to help you determine amounts. 


Thank you for using Turbo Tax Live!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings