Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I add The Credit for Other Dependent of $500 in mt tax filing? This is being claimed for mu no US child who resides with me in US

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I add The Credit for Other Dependent of $500 in mt tax filing? This is being claimed for mu no US child who resides with me in US

You have to enter the dependent in the My Info section of the program.  The child must have either a Social Security number or an ITIN issued by the IRS.  The child must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you add the Other Dependent Credit by entering the information about that dependent in your tax return.

Here's how to do that in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Select My Info, then Review.
  3. On the screen Personal profile, select Add another dependent. 
  4. Select My Child, or Another Person, then Continue.
  5. Fill in the details about the person. 
  6. Carefully answer all of the follow up questions. 
  7. After you have answered all of the questions you will get to a screen that explains your results. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I see that my child who is non US citizen but resides with me in US since 2021 is being flagged as “Not a Dependent this year”.

In this case how do I get the benefit of The Credit of Other Dependent.

Please advise.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Review your answers in the dependent section. Something must be marked wrong. Otherwise it should tell why they aren't qualified as a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies