Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jen12

How can we remove the capital gain/loss earned in another state in TurboTax, while filing part year state tax?

TurboTax imports all capital gain/loss entries from federal tax and doesn't allow me to delete any. How can I delete the ones that don't belong to this state?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

How can we remove the capital gain/loss earned in another state in TurboTax, while filing part year state tax?

Most  part year state returns give you the opportunity to allocate your income between the time you were a resident and the time you weren't. If you tell me which states we are talking about, I can show you where this is done in the state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Most  part year state returns give you the opportunity to allocate your income between the time you were a resident and the time you weren't. If you tell me which states we are talking about, I can show you where this is done in the state return.

jen12

It is PA. I could adjust these gain/loss to zero. But all the sales are still reported on the tax form. Is there any way to delete them?
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

When you go through the sales, you indicate which ones are not taxable in PA. You won't be taxed on the ones that you made when you lived in the other state. You do this for each sale. I'm amending my answer with a screenshot of a sale that I excluded from PA tax. I added my sales in manually. Did you import your sales from your broker, or did you enter them manually? Do you get the same screen as I am showing?
jen12

Thank you so much! Found the place to claim the sale is not taxable in PA.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I'm so glad! Thank you for responding!

I have a similar issue and was hoping for an easier solution.  I also have to file a PA state personal return although I am a resident of another state.  The automatic upload from by broker populates schedule D for both of my state returns.  In the past I have gone through each sales like you said and unchecked for PA.  Is there a better way?  I have hundreds of sales in 2020.

Thanks!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Chris19821 Click this link for info on How to Enter Stock Sale Summary when you have a large number of transactions. 

This will help - thanks!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You are Welcome!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies