Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I upload and review .tax files prepared by someone else using TurboTax online?

I used TT for the first time this year (2023).  
Years, 2020-22 were prepared by my late father on his TT account. Before he passed, he shared the archive tax files, which were given to me in *.tax file format.
I need to review those files. Hoping someone here knows how I can do so.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How can I upload and review .tax files prepared by someone else using TurboTax online?

The prior year TurboTax tax data files can only be opened by the TurboTax desktop edition software for the year of the tax data file,

For example, an 2022 tax data file with a file extension of .tax2022 can only be opened by the 2022 TurboTax desktop edition.

You would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the desktop editions for each tax year required from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Are you using 2023 Online or the 2023 Desktop program?  Yes you need each year's Desktop program to open a .taxyyy file.  Or about the only thing you can do with tax files is you can transfer the prior year file into the next year's return.  Like Transfer 2022 into a 2023 return either Online or Desktop.

If you don't need to see the actual entries,  You could try the TaxPrinter service (not connected with Turbo Tax) to convert a .tax file to pdf at

http://www.taxprinter.com

Couple thoughts.  Are you asking about the .tax files for his returns or your returns?  Did he use the Online version or the Desktop installed program?  If he did them Online did he give you his log on information?  If he used the Desktop programs do you have access to his computer?  

Shoot. I did it online.

@VolvoGirl He used disc(s), loaded onto personal computer. Never online (2022 and earlier).
I filed online (2023).

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you have the .tax files for his prior year returns, you will be able to open them in the corresponding TurboTax Desktop program for each applicable year.  Please see this link for steps on how to find the .tax files if you are able to access your father's computer that was used to file his tax returns.

It does not sound like the returns were filed online but if they were, please follow the steps in this link to view the prior year returns.

jared.pettit@dom 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies