Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I restart Turbo Tax all over from scratch?? Turbo tax stated my refund to be $491, then after I used the annualize method and the refund increased to $591, yea!, But next morning it changed to $193, Help! I need to start over. Thanks, Mike

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
SwapnaM
Employee Tax Expert

How can I restart Turbo Tax all over from scratch?? Turbo tax stated my refund to be $491, then after I used the annualize method and the refund increased to $591, yea!, But next morning it changed to $193, Help! I need to start over. Thanks, Mike

@mbcassin Thanks for the question!! Were you in the underpayment penalties section & working on the numbers when you noticed this change?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SwapnaM
Employee Tax Expert

@mbcassin You may need to Delete the 2210 Form & associated worksheets to start over in the underpayment section again. 

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online? 

How do I delete a tax form in the TurboTax CD/Download software? 

Make sure you delete the associated worksheets as well. Once deleted, you can come back to the underpayment penalty section & go through the questions!

Terri Lynn
Employee Tax Expert

Hello mbcassin, and thank you for your question.

You can clear and start over as long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fees from your refund, or registered your product, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online. If you have done any of these things, you'll need to manually edit your return.

If you ar currntly signed into your Turbotax accont and working in a return you an simply navigate over to the left panel, then click on Tools, then Tax Tools and then, click on Clear and Start over.

Here is a video link  to show step by step:

Clear and start over  

If you started your tax return in Turbo Tax Free Edition, (for simple returns only; not all taxpayers are eligible), you won't need to clear and start over. You can select Switch to Free Edition instead. Remember, you’ll need to upgrade before you file if you have info that isn’t covered in a simple tax return.

With the desktop software you can start over by starting a new return. Click File in the upper left corner, then click New Return.

If you no longer want to keep the original you began you can delete the .tax file and any associated pdf copies you do not wish to keep. Please see below for assistance deleting the return:

Hopefuly this helps.

*Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

Terri Lynn H.
SwapnaM
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, agree with @Terri Lynn  . If you need to start over your return entirely, then Clear & start over is the right option as long as you haven't paid already for the product. You'll lose whatever was entered so far. But if it is just a form that needs to be deleted, then Delete forms will do the trick.

Hi all,

@Terri Lynn  - I have a similar issue in that I'm wanting to start over. I may need to start over. I have the desktop CD for 2023 and I've got a copy of what I've done so it wouldn't be too bad to do so if it's the best way for my problem.

Here is what happened: I did TurboTax 2022 business last week. Then BEFORE I filed that one, I started this current year and imported that one. (I wouldn't have normally done that but its another story : Thing was I didn't realize that 2022 return wasn't filed last Feb. 2023 due to a rejection over some empty text line and I just learned about it last week.) So then after this 2023 return was started with the imported data from the 2022 tax file, I made a change in the 2022 file before I filed it. It was a minor change to increase gross income in the 2022 which allowed me to take a current liability off my balance sheet for that year.

But now I have the wrong figures in my current year return. The $32 change last year effected my income, retained earnings and balance sheet. There is another change I could make to the 2022 return which I could do to justify amending that return. And then I could import the amended return into this year's return but how do I start over to do that?

You said something in the above post about having "registered". I haven't filed this return yet but I did have to put in the registration or serial number that came with the CD when I installed the disk.

Can I delete that 2023 tax file you referred to above and start over or is there a simpler solution to get those 3 figures changes?

Thank you for any help here!

The Desktop program is different than the Online version.  In the Desktop program to start over you just start a new blank return, go up to FILE - New.    You can then transfer from the right 2022 return or the amended one.  You can delete the wrong 2023 return.  Each return is  in a file ending in .tax2023 and should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  I don't know the Business program but you might be able to change the figures that transferred over.  Maybe in Forms Mode.  Is there Forms in the upper right?     

Hi,

@VolvoGirl Thank you! Yes it has forms in upper right. I saw that file -> new etc. but didn't know what you do with it. Thanks! If I can do that then I wouldn't need to edit the forms or amend last  year's return. On the forms, they only let you edit your current return. They don't let you edit the imported return figures.

If that feature will work, then that's a great thing! It would solve the problem! Would there be any issue with the "registration" that @Terri Lynn mentioned?

What is the File --> Open Tax Return for?

The "registration" stuff is for the Online web versions not your Desktop program.  So ignore that.  

File -Open would be to open an existing file.  You can only have 1 return open at a time.   In the Desktop program you can have more than 1 return like if you have another separate business or a Trust/Estate.   Or want to make a test return.  Or you do a return for someone else.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies