425250_04911

How can I go back and delete a tax credit so I'm not forced to upgrade?

I added info about a situation that resulted in a small tax break (yay!) come to find out that's "not covered" under the free version, and I would have to pay $60 to upgrade AND another $40 processing fee (possibly just to take it out of my refund, I wasn't sure when that $40 popped up).  All I want to do is backtrack and delete that tax credit.  I go to edit/delete it, and when it asks me the initial question "do you have info to add here" I say no, but it will not delete
Rachel_W

What credit are you trying to delete?
425250_04911

The retirement contribution. I even cleared my info to start over, redid them without adding that info, and it still is saying I HAVE to upgrade for $60 because free version doesn’t cover “schedule 3”
Rachel_W

If you are eligible for the Retirement Savings Credit (Savers Credit) but DO NOT want to claim it, you can elect to do so by indicating that you are a "full-time student" (even though you are not).  Indicating that you are a full-time student does not change your return in any way, except that it makes you ineligible for the Savers Credit.

To elect out of claiming the Savers Credit, even though you qualify to claim it, please follow these instructions:

• Login to your TurboTax Account 
  • Click "Take Me To My Return"
  • Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  • Click "Deductions & Credits" from the top of your screen
  • Scroll down and click on "Retirement & Investments"
  • Click "Start" next to "Retirement Savings Contribution
  • Click "Yes" to "Did you contribute to a qualified retirement plan in 2018?"
  • Click "Yes" to "Were you a Full-Time Student for at least 5 months in 2018?"

Please click the link to this TurboTax FAQ for more information:  What is the Savers Credit?