Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get turbotax to resubmit my 2020 tax return?? What's the point of using turbo tax if they aren't making sure returns are sent and then also not helping fix it

I used the free file cause I got unemployment during the pandemic so I filed my 2020 return and have waited and waited it said on the IRS site it was accepted and being processed but then nothing ended up happening so about 3 months ago I looked on my online account to see my transcripts and it said I didn't file a 2020 return but I definitely did I received confirmation emails and talked to turbo tax Representatives when it allowed me obviously to talk to them now I'm not even able to talk to a live person for some reason I don't get it but the problem is is I also now since it's been almost 2 years waiting for this return just two days ago I had to move out of the house that I was going to be having that return sent to so now my return has to have my address changed also so I don't know and I've literally tried to call the IRS about a billion times and of course they just drop calls and hang up and tell you that there's too many people trying to call so I get nowhere it's just irritating because if I owed the IRS money they would come after me like hell but when they owe us money oh we just going to sit and wait and not have any kind of you know answer to the questions or interest or anything anyways if anyone knows what I can do please let me know
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How can I get turbotax to resubmit my 2020 tax return?? What's the point of using turbo tax if they aren't making sure returns are sent and then also not helping fix it

If your 2020 return somehow did not make it to the IRS---maybe the e-file was rejected and you did not realize?---the only way to file it now is to print it, sign and date it in ink and mail it.  TurboTax cannot do that for you.   The return has to have YOUR signature on it.   E-filing is permanently closed for 2020 and for 2021 returns.

However---you are saying that previously the IRS showed the return as being processed.   That means they did have it.  TurboTax gets no information--ever---from the IRS after you file your tax return.  TurboTax cannot intercede with the IRS for you.  

You will need to contact the IRS yourself to see what happened, or try talking to a Tax Advocate.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

TAX ADVOCATE

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/TAS_CaseCriteria_061120.pdf 

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/can-tas-help-me-with-my-tax-issue/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your ONLY choice at this late date would be to mail in a ink signed paper return if you have had no luck with either the IRS directly or the taxpayer advocate's office.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies