Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wzhong99
Returning Member

How can I get the medicare tax refund after my former employer file a Corrected W-2?

I found out there is an error in Box 5 and Box 6 on my W-2 from my former employer, which made me overpaid my Medicare tax in 2022.  I made a payment to IRS before April 18th to file an extension. Now I've got the corrected W-2 from my former employer and planning to file my tax return. My questions are:

1. How can I get my Medicare tax refund? through my former employer or somewhere on my tax return form?

2. Do I need to record my IRS payment somewhere on my tax return? Is there any way I can choose to get the refund or put the money into my next year withholdings?

Thanks,

Wilson

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How can I get the medicare tax refund after my former employer file a Corrected W-2?

You will need to get a refund of the Medicare taxes withheld from the employer.  If the employer refuses to refund those taxes to you then you can use the IRS Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement to request a refund - https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-843

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 10. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 15 flows to Form 1040 Line 31

If you used the TurboTax Easy Extension to electronically file the extension request, Form 4868, and make the tax payment with the request, the payment should already entered on your tax return. Provided you used the same user ID for the 2022 online tax return as was used for the Easy Extension. You can check to see if the amount is on your tax return by clicking on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Then click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Then click on Preview my 1040.

To add, change or delete a current year federal tax refund to next year's taxes before you file your tax return -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Other Tax Situations
Under Additional Tax Payments
On Apply Refund to Next Year, click on the start or update button

Or enter apply federal refund to next year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to apply federal refund to next year

The amount applied to next years taxes will be shown on Form 1040 Line 36

wzhong99
Returning Member

Thanks you for your answer. I have tried to contact the company to get the refund. Now it is time to file Form 843 myself. Is there any way that I can download the form to TurboTax Premier and file it with my tax return? Thanks.

Turbotax doesn't support form 843 and in any case it can't be filed with your return regardles of whether e-filed or mail

look at 1040 instruction for mailing address page 113 refund column

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf 

filing  instructions

the service center where you would be
required to a file a current year tax return for
the tax to which your claim or request
relates. See the instructions for the return
you are filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies