Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get a document that verifies I got an extension

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2879424-how-do-i-print-my-4868-extension-form-after-e-filing-it-th...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

"How can I get a document that verifies I got an extension"

If I understand the thrust of your question, you don't. The IRS does not send you a confirmation that you received an extension; the presumption is that if you created and filed form 4868 correctly and in a timely manner that you received the extension.

This is one reason that taxpayers are encouraged to e-file when possible or if mailing, to retain at least a "proof of mailing" (not the same as proof of delivery), to show that you mailed something to the IRS on that date (you can handwrite on the receipt what the mailing was for).

If you filed the extension through TurboTax, follow xmasbaby0's advice above and print off the 4868. I don't know if TurboTax has a screen that states that you filed the extension when you re-enter the return a second time ( @xmasbaby0  do you know?), if so, screen print a copy of that, too, and add it to the 4868 for your "proof of extension". 

@BMcCalpin If I understood your question, no, there will not be a screen that gives the user a way to show that they filed an extension as they are completing the return.  If the user requested an extension then the IRS "knows" they have an extension.  The only other "special" thing to make sure of when completing the return is to see if the estimated tax paid with the extension request has been entered onto the tax return

PAYMENT WITH EXTENSION

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

Confirmation that the IRS received a request for extension would be in the individual's Tax Account Transcript:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies