turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I efile my State Tax Return (NY) when my federal return must be mailed? Am required to mail the return for deceased family member. Need to efile the state ret'n

New York state requires that I efile my state return, but I don't see that option since I must mail the federal return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnH2

How can I efile my State Tax Return (NY) when my federal return must be mailed? Am required to mail the return for deceased family member. Need to efile the state ret'n

TurboTax no longer supports the e-filing of a state return by itself unless it meets one of the following conditions:  A state return can be e-filed after a Federal return has been e-filed and accepted or, at the same time as e-filing a Federal return.  You will not be able to e-file your state if your Federal return was or will be paper-filed.  See the following TurboTax FAQ: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301358  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
akarasik2

The system tells me to efile NY "E-File is not available because your tax return includes a tax situation that can't be e-filed. Revisit the Review section to see more details. Make sure to mail your return by your state's due date. " But there are not details in the review questions. Where do I find why I cant e-file my NY return?
JohnH2

TurboTax no longer supports the e-filing of a state return by itself unless it meets one of the following conditions:  A state return can be e-filed after a Federal return has been e-filed and accepted or, at the same time as e-filing a Federal return.  You will not be able to e-file your state if your Federal return was or will be paper-filed.  See the following TurboTax FAQ: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301358  

This extra layer of "security" is really just a way for tax preparation companies to fleece you. For what reason should they prohibit users from filing state returns on their own? This is to prevent you from buying individual Federal+State programs and just using the state filing. The truth is they bundle these programs, and if you want to file an additional state (i.e. like you live in one state and work in another) they can upcharge you for the second state (Charge you 40 dollars for the software download, + 20 for the Efile). This is a healthy revenue stream for them, so they are trying to lock you into a complicated "security" scheme so you can't actually use the software as you intended and you have to pay their upsells.

There are plenty of players in this space now where you can prepare and file your state return (and only your state return) for 10-15 dollars. Google one of them, and save yourself a big headache. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies