Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I e-file my NY tax return after mailing my Federal tax return?

I prepared both my Federal and NY State tax returns via turbo tax.  I printed and filed my NY tax return.  I planned to do the same for NY, but learned that if I prepare my NY tax return using software I am legally required to e-file. My profile shows both my Federal and State returns as "in progress" but Federal return is actually complete.  I need to file my State return, but TurboTax won't let me file my State return unless I "complete" and e-file my Federal tax return (which is not possible).
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax does not allow you to e-file your state return if you file your federal return by mail. You are required to e-file your NY return IF "your software supports the electronic filing of your return." TurboTax does not support electronic filing of your NY return if you file your federal return by mail. Therefore you are not required to e-file you NY return. File it by mail.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax does not allow you to e-file your state return if you file your federal return by mail. You are required to e-file your NY return IF "your software supports the electronic filing of your return." TurboTax does not support electronic filing of your NY return if you file your federal return by mail. Therefore you are not required to e-file you NY return. File it by mail.

This seems inaccurate. The form states "NY State law requries income tax returns prepared using software to be e-filed. Becuase this NY State return was prepared using software, you MUST file it electronically." It doesn't state "If Turbotax is behind its game, just go ahead and mail it in."

Right? The form says it's illegal. It doesn't even list the address to send the form to.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm">https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile...>

I don't see the statement that you quoted on Form IT-201 in TurboTax. Where exactly do you see it?

Ok, it doesn't use the word illegal, but the form states:

New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically.
New York State law requires income tax returns prepared using software to be e-filed. Because this New York State tax return was prepared using software, you MUST e-file it electronically.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"the form states . . ."
What form says that? What year is the form for? Where on the form does it say that? Where did you get the form that says that? Form IT-201 in TurboTax for 2017 does not say that.

I printed all of the final paperwork from TurboTax to follow the steps for this years return. It states it on the directions page before my actual form. That’s where I copy and pasted those lines from.

sooo did anyone try mailing them in? I'm having the same issue.

I called the state of ny tax division and she was incredibly friendly. She said you can just mail it in. The state piggy-backs the federal, so if one is mailed in, the other has to be too.

@laurackerman thank you so much!
lmargolus

@laurackerman  Thank you - very helpful!
tharshman

Yes, I also spoke to them today. You can mail. Note the key language in e-filing must meet three requirements in order for the state to require it. Oxymoron. Hence the following on their website. TurboTax does not support e-filing on previous years and since e-filing must ocurr at the federal level on TurboTax for all subsequent states to do so they wrote as such.

You're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:

you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return;
your software supports the electronic filing of your return; and
you have broadband Internet access.
jpriess

It seems ridiculous to me I am learning this very important information on a user forum, and it's not easier to contact folks at Turbo Tax to get an answer to this.  This will delay receipt of my refund.  Am I being unreasonable?
billo8

It's the most absurd thing I've encountered in 25 years of filing taxes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies