Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I correct an incorrect ssn on a w2?

I have received a settlement check from a former employer for a settlement I was not even aware of and with it, came a W2 for my 2022 tax reporting. On the W2, my ssn is incorrect so I am wondering how I can fix this.

In the mail it came with, it says if I have questions about tax issues, they recommend I consult a tax consultant, as neither the counsels nor settlement administrator can provide me with tax advice. So, I am truly stumped about who to contact for help. 

What do I do to fix the incorrect ssn and what steps can I take

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot correct the SSN on the W-2 yourself. The employer that issued the W-2 has to correct it. That would be whatever company is listed as the employer on the W-2. They have to issue a Form W-2c, file it with the Social Security Administration, and send you a copy. But if they refuse to correct it, you can use the W-2 with the incorrect SSN when you file your tax return. However, in that case you will not get Social Security credit for the settlement pay.

This is not a "tax issue" that a tax consultant can resolve. It's an error on the W-2. You are not asking for tax advice. You are asking the issuer of the W-2 to correct the erroneous W-2 that they issued.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

The “employer” on the W2 is not my former employer exactly, but rather, the settlement fund from the case. As such, there is not really anyone I can contact to correct it, right? 

Carl
Level 15

The “employer” on the W2 is not my former employer

It doesn't matter. Only the issuer can correct the SSN. In fact, they are required by law to do so, once you notify them. Note also that the issuer can (and may) ask you for proof/verification. Sending them a copy of your social security card is usually all that's required. Overall, getting this corrected by the issuer should be a non-issue really.

Okay, in that case, my confusion would be how can I contact the issuer if the issuer is the settlement fund and not my employer themselves? Thank you again

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies