Solved: How can I change filing status from Married Filing...

pvavsubbarao

How can I change filing status from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Separate

I filed with Married Filing Joint, but want to change to Married Filing Separate

bluedeb

It is too late to change, you cannot change from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Separate after the due date.  Once you have filed your tax return as Married Filing Joint (MFJ), you CANNOT amend your filing status after the July 15th deadline (July 15th for 2020). Any change to filing status has to be done before the deadline.

bluedeb

Natemccaslin

Hello @pvavsubbarao !

To change your filing status before you file you will need to revisit the Personal Info section.

To do this:

1. Select the Personal Info tab in the toolbar
  2. Under the Personal Info Summary select edit next to Marital Status
  3. Follow the on screen instructions to change your filing status

Please review the TurboTax FAQ below for more information if you have already filed and need to amend a separate return to Married Filing Jointly:

Link to original post

Hope this helps!

Nate M

bluedeb

They stated they filed with Married Filing Joint & they did not ask how to change from Married Filing Separate to Joint.