turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change filing status from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Separate

I filed with Married Filing Joint, but want to change to Married Filing Separate
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I change filing status from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Separate

It is too late to change, you cannot change from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Separate after the due date.  Once you have filed your tax return as Married Filing Joint (MFJ), you CANNOT amend your filing status after the July 15th deadline (July 15th for 2020). Any change to filing status has to be done before the deadline.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

It is too late to change, you cannot change from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Separate after the due date.  Once you have filed your tax return as Married Filing Joint (MFJ), you CANNOT amend your filing status after the July 15th deadline (July 15th for 2020). Any change to filing status has to be done before the deadline.

Natemccaslin
Intuit Alumni

Hello @pvavsubbarao !

To change your filing status before you file you will need to revisit the Personal Info section.

To do this:

1. Select the Personal Info tab in the toolbar
  2. Under the Personal Info Summary select edit next to Marital Status
  3. Follow the on screen instructions to change your filing status

Please review the TurboTax FAQ below for more information if you have already filed and need to amend a separate return to Married Filing Jointly:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300283

Link to original post

Hope this helps!

Nate M

They stated they filed with Married Filing Joint & they did not ask how to change from Married Filing Separate to Joint.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies