turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HOH

If my sister files as head of household and claims my mom as a dependent does my mom still need to file taxes on her SS earnings?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

HOH

If your mom's only income is from Social Security there is no need or reason for her to file tax return.  Unless she has taxes withheld from the SS benefits received, then she should file to get a refund of the taxes.

HOH

does she have other income? if not then the other advice is correct. 

HOH

@SarahJ12 and the advice is the same even if Mom is not a dependent of Daughter.... 

HOH

1. If a person's only income is social security, it is not taxable and a return does not need to be filed unless tax was withheld and the person wants it refunded.  

2. On the other hand, if a person has other taxable income in their own name (IRA, pension, gambling winnings, etc.) they must file a tax return in their own name even if they are also someone else's dependent.

3. Your sister can't claim your mother as a dependent if your mother has more than $4300 of taxable income (for 2021.  I don't know the amount for 2022 but it will be a little higher.)

4. Even if your mother has less than $4300 of taxable income and can be claimed as a dependent by your sister, she is not a qualifying person for HOH unless she also lived in your sister's home more than half the year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies