Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, i ve been working last summer, so what is suppose that i have to fill the state i lived in

Im from spain, and i have been working 2019 summer  Illinois
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Hi, i ve been working last summer, so what is suppose that i have to fill the state i lived in

If you are an alien (not a U.S. citizen), you are considered a nonresident alien unless you meet one of two tests. You are a resident alien of the United States for tax purposes if you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test for the calendar year (January 1-December 31).

Certain rules exist for determining the Residency Starting and Ending Dates for aliens.

TurboTax doesn't support Form 1040NR: U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, but we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, i am a resident alien, so how i have to fill the number 3 gap ( because i ve not been living in US 31 but i have lived there  at summer

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If you are a nonresident alien for U.S. tax purposes you file Form 1040NR.  If are a resident alien for U.S. tax purposes you file Form 1040.  Refer to IRS Publication 519 at this link to determine whether you are a nonresident or resident for U.S. tax purposes.

TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR.  SprintTax is a software that can file a Form 1040-NR.

If you earned more than $2,275 in Illinois, you also need to file an Illinois nonresident tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies