Hi I have a settlement from a class action lawsuit...

cassandrabommari

Hi I have a settlement from a class action lawsuit and half is being taxed with a w2 with payroll and income taxes and the other half is being taxed as 1099 liquidated damages, penalty and interest. W

The suit was with a previous employer
macuser_22

Without knowing the details of the settlement that should be available to you, I can only guess that the amount on a W-2 is for wages that were not paid so they are now treated as wages that you should have received and are taxed as such, and the amount on the 1099-MISC is for damages in excess of wages that is taxed as miscellaneous income.

cassandrabommari

@macuser_22  How much is the tax rate for the 1099-misc? I’m trying to find out how much I will actually be receiving from the settlement after taxes

macuser_22

If miscellaneous income in box 3 then it is simply taxed as ordinary income at whatever your tax rate is based on all of your income.