turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hhaltam

Hi, don't have my drivers license. can i still e file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NickyL
Intuit Alumni

The driver's license number is an added security measure the IRS and States have put in place for 2016 but for most states, your return can be filed and will process without your driver's license number.

"In an effort to help protect your identity and fight tax Fraud, the IRS and State tax offices are now asking that tax filers provide their driver’s license or state issued ID number. This step is not required in order to file your taxes, for most states, but could help speed up the processing of your return and will not affect your return’s submission. Omitting any of this information may delay return and refund processing.

States such as Illinois and Alabama do require an ID to be provided in order to e-file this year.

For additional information, you can view the IRS information on the New Security Safeguards. or to see if your state is participating, please contact your state revenue agency.

You do not need a driver’s license number to file your federal tax return. But, in an effort to better protect you from identity thieves, some states will be trying new approaches. Some states may ask for additional identification information, such as your driver’s license number, when you are preparing your state tax return. This will be another layer of protection because identity thieves may already have your name and Social Security number, but perhaps not your driver’s license number. States requesting this information have the ability to match driver’s license information and other identifying records to help confirm your identity.

Unfortunately, there may be some kinks until the IRS, states, and tax software providers get these new requirements worked out.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NickyL
Intuit Alumni

The driver's license number is an added security measure the IRS and States have put in place for 2016 but for most states, your return can be filed and will process without your driver's license number.

"In an effort to help protect your identity and fight tax Fraud, the IRS and State tax offices are now asking that tax filers provide their driver’s license or state issued ID number. This step is not required in order to file your taxes, for most states, but could help speed up the processing of your return and will not affect your return’s submission. Omitting any of this information may delay return and refund processing.

States such as Illinois and Alabama do require an ID to be provided in order to e-file this year.

For additional information, you can view the IRS information on the New Security Safeguards. or to see if your state is participating, please contact your state revenue agency.

You do not need a driver’s license number to file your federal tax return. But, in an effort to better protect you from identity thieves, some states will be trying new approaches. Some states may ask for additional identification information, such as your driver’s license number, when you are preparing your state tax return. This will be another layer of protection because identity thieves may already have your name and Social Security number, but perhaps not your driver’s license number. States requesting this information have the ability to match driver’s license information and other identifying records to help confirm your identity.

Unfortunately, there may be some kinks until the IRS, states, and tax software providers get these new requirements worked out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies