Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Help filing now that widowed//

i do not know how to file my taxes now that my husband has passed i do not know the proper steps to take
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Help filing now that widowed//

I'm so sorry for your loss.

If your husband passed away in 2016, you would file a joint return with him if that's what you always did in the past. If his name was always first on the return, don't change that. This would be his final tax return. When you enter his Personal Info, you will check My spouse passed away before filing this return. 

If no personal representative has been appointed, you can sign the return for him as his spouse. 

There is more information in this link, but TurboTax will ask you the questions that you need to get started. If you have more questions,please post another separate question in this forum so that all the contributors can respond.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings