Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help - basic questions about filing amended returns

Edited for selected answers provided by TurboTax on 11/27/23; noted inline as "TT" in bolded font and quotation marks.

Am going to need to file amended returns for multiple years.  Have used PC desktop Turbotax (TT) since tax year 2018. Am looking for some help and want to do this correctly the first time, since the IRS website says it takes ~20 weeks to get a reply.

1. If I file the amended returns in December 2023, for which tax years can I efile? 2022, 2021 and 2020? Can I also use TT to file paper amended returns for 2019 and 2018 if needed (or will the IRS not accept older amended returns in any format)? TT: "You can efile the 2022 tax year amended return in January 2024 when the TT efile portal opens. Other years will need to be filed by paper."
  2. Do I use the 2022 copy of Turbotax to file all the amended returns, or do I need to open each individual copy for each separate tax year? 
  3. Can supporting documents (i.e. receipts/statements) be attached when efiling with TT? Or will I have to file paper copies of  the amended returns? TT: "TurboTax will efile the necessary documents." (Note: meaning the receipts may not be needed? Will check the IRS website regarding this.)
  4. If I use TT to efile, does it only submit Form 1040-X or does it also submit all forms that changed? 
  5. Normally, when efiling an original return, I stop letting TT update the software so the original return is preserved after it is efiled. When creating the amended return, is TT going to want to update the desktop version of the software, and should I let it? TT: "You should update the desktop software if it needs to be updated."
  6. When creating the amended return, does TT overwrite the original return, or does it generate a new Form 1040, Schedule A, etc. along with the 1040-X? If so, are the new forms saved under a different name(s)? TT: "Creates new forms that you will be able to see in the Forms area of TurboTax."
  7. Will TT also create a corresponding amended state tax return? TT: "It will create a new state return with the new (corrected) data but an amended state return will need to be paper filed."
  8. When I correct the erroneous information in the amended return, does TT go through the Easy Step screens, or do I have to correct the amount directly on the affected form or worksheet? TT: "Use the Easy Step area but select the specific area that needs to be updated."

Thank you in advance for any advice and guidance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1.  None of those amended returns can be e-filed unless something changes for the upcoming tax year that we have not received advance information about.   They will have to be filed by mail.   Users of TurboTax cannot e-file past year returns or past year amended returns.  Only some tax professionals can use professional tax software to e-file past year returns.

TurboTax software for years earlier than 2020 is no longer supported nor can you get updates for the software even if you can find it somewhere else like on eBay, so using TT for amending any year earlier than 2020 is not a good plan.

2.  You need the software for the specific tax year in order to prepare an amended return for 2020, 2021 or 2022.  And..you cannot use online.  It must be used on a full PC or Mac.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

3.  You are supposed to include copies of documents pertaining to the changes you make---such as W-2's or 1099's that affect your refund or tax due.

4.  Not applicable, since you will not be e-filing the amended returns.  You will be sending them in envelopes.

5.  Always save a pdf of the return on your own hard drive.

6.  Save a pdf of the original return.  NAME the file so you will recognize it and be able to find it if needed.  Name the amended return also---so that you will know which is which.

7.  TT will not automatically amend your state return. Information does flow from the federal to the state return.  You have to take steps yourself to amend the state if the state needs to be amended.  When you file the amended state return, make sure you mail that one to the state.  It does not go to the IRS.

8.   The software will take you through the interview screens to make your changes.   You will not be entering directly onto the forms.

It is too late for you to amend and get any additional refund for a tax year earlier than 2020.   However, if you owe tax to the IRS or state, you must pay the amount owed.

When you mail tax returns (of any kind--original or amended) use a mailing service to track it so you will know the returns were received.  And do not combine different years in the same envelope.  Federal and state returns go in separate envelopes to separate addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2824532-i-need-to-amend-my-state-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3827521-can-i-efile-an-amended-state-return

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

there is other tax software available that still supports earlier years.

Do a google search.

@cbco7 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies