TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
211 people found this useful

I need to amend my state return

Select your version of TurboTax for instructions on how to amend your state return without amending your federal:

TurboTax Online

Log into the TurboTax account you need to amend.

1. On the Welcome home screen, click Amend (change) return.
  2. On the Are you sure you'd like to amend? screen, click the Amend using TurboTax Online.
  3. On the We’ll Help you change (amend) your return screen, click Continue.
  4. On the Have You Already Filed This Return? screen, check Yes, I need to amend a return I already filed, and I need to amend my 2016 return, then click Continue. 
  5. On the What do you need to change on your return screen, scroll down and click Update next to State return.

Begin amending your state return with your changes.

Note: The refund meter is reset and may show odd numbers until all of your changes are entered. When you're finished with your changes, the refund meter shows any additional amount owed or refunded to you. This amount is in addition to your original payment or refund shown on your originally filed tax return.

When finished you will see a copy of your amended return. Print two copies, one for your files and one to mail in. The refund meter shows your new refund or amount due to be mailed in.

Mail one copy of your amended return to your state address listed on your amend instructions. Processing of amended returns can take several months.

TurboTax CD/Download Desktop

Locate and open the tax file you need to amend. Before amending, select Online and check for Updates to be sure you have the latest software.

1. Go to Federal Taxes tab (if using the Home and Business Product, go to the Personal tab) and then select the Other Tax Situations tab.

2. On the Other Tax Situations screen, scroll down to Other Tax Forms and next to Amend a Return, click Start.

3. On the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen, click continue.
  4. On the What do you need to change on your return? screen, scroll down to State and click Update

Note: The refund meter is reset and may show odd numbers until all of your changes are entered. When you're done with your changes, the refund meter shows any additional amount owed or that should be refunded to you. This amount is in addition to your original payment or refund shown on your originally filed tax return.

GEN87102