Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saisei84

Why is it that when I chose to upgrade to deluxe so that I can file the schedule 4 (which is already $60) you then charge me an addl $44 to file my state return??

*EDIT at 4/13/2019* Let me amend my original question, as it was apparently unclear. The only reason I upgraded to the deluxe ver was because TurboTax alerted me that I would have to upgrade due to filing schedule 4. This is a VERY important distinction. My taxes are very simple, using standard deduction and no special incomes or anything of the sort. The only reason I have to file this schedule 4 is to write in the no healthcare insurance penalty. That's the only reason.

It was TurboTax that told me I needed to upgrade. I was trying to use the free version. But TurboTax REQUIRED me to upgrade in order to continue processing my taxes and file them.  So, I decided to pay the $60 so that my taxes can be filed and they will be done. THEN TurboTax require me to pay even more money?

I can't understand why TurboTax doesn't include at least the very basic schedules in it's free version. This is a big oversight by TurboTax. I have been using your service for years now and have been very satisfied. But this situation has just about completely turned me away.

Due to this issue I also had to look elsewhere to file my taxes, which I did find a completely free service which included the schedule 4, for free.***

This is ridiculous price gauging. Why isn't my state return included for free with the $60 upgrade to Deluxe ver? I have to pay $100+ to file a measly half page form to an otherwise VERY easy tax return? Getting out of hand turbo tax, please answer to this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why is it that when I chose to upgrade to deluxe so that I can file the schedule 4 (which is already $60) you then charge me an addl $44 to file my state return??

If you go to turbotax product page, https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/ it plainly states that, except for the free version, state is an additional cost.

saisei84

Hello thanks for your reply. That may be true. However, my point is that only because of the schedule 4 was I asked by TurboTax to upgrade to the deluxe ver. This is a VERY important distinction. My taxes are very simple, using standard deduction and no special incomes or anything of the sort. The only reason I have to file this schedule 4 is to write in the no healthcare insurance penalty. That's the only reason.

It was TurboTax that told me I needed to upgrade. I was trying to use the free version. But TurboTax REQUIRED me to upgrade in order to continue processing my taxes and file them.  So, I decided to pay the $60 so that my taxes can be filed and they will be done. THEN TurboTax require me to pay even more money?

I can't understand why TurboTax doesn't include at least the very basic schedules in it's free version. This is a big oversight by TurboTax. I have been using your service for years now and have been very satisfied. But this situation, plus this answer which has no feeling or understanding in it, has just about completely turned me away.

Due to this issue I also had to look elsewhere to file my taxes, which I did find a completely free service which included the schedule 4, for free.

You are right - I didn't understand your question - I thought you were complaining about having to pay extra for the state return. But if you didn't have to pay any of the taxes on Schedule 4, I take it you qualify for the exemption, then I don't see why turbotax would require you to file a Schedule 4. Maybe some Turbotax agent could explain this better.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies