Hello! My son is 18 in high school and still lives with us. TurboTax is only letting me claim $500 on him. How do I fix that?

Sorry.  He had to be UNDER 18 on Dec 31 to get the Child Tax Credit.   It used to be under 17.   When did he turn 18?  

If your son was older than 17 at the end of 2021 then you cannot get the child tax credit for him.  He had to be younger than 18 at the end of 2021.   If he turned 18 at any time in 2021 then you get the $500 credit for other dependents for him, not the child tax credit.   

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my-childdependent-qualify-for-the-child-tax-credit-or-the-credit-f...

He turned 18 on Sept 29th. 

Then he wasn't under 18 on Dec 31.  He's too old.  But you can still claim him as a other Dependent since he was under 19.  

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing