turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I live in Australia and I am trying to declare my income with a W-2, but as I worked for an Australia firm I am not sure how it translates. Any help would be great

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello, I live in Australia and I am trying to declare my income with a W-2, but as I worked for an Australia firm I am not sure how it translates. Any help would be great

If you did not receive a W-2, do not try and enter your income in the W-2 section.  Foreign Earned Income is entered on a Form 2555.  Using the online editions you will need the Deluxe edition or higher.

To enter Foreign Earned Income -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion, click on the start or update button

Or enter foreign income in the Search/Find box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to foreign income

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you did not receive a W-2, do not try and enter your income in the W-2 section.  Foreign Earned Income is entered on a Form 2555.  Using the online editions you will need the Deluxe edition or higher.

To enter Foreign Earned Income -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion, click on the start or update button

Or enter foreign income in the Search/Find box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to foreign income

@alfonsoone
What is your citizenship status?   Are you a US citizen?   TurboTax can prepare returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes", but cannot prepare Form 1040NR returns for non-resident aliens.

If you ARE a US citizen or "resident alien for tax purposes" and can use TurboTax, here's some info that might be helpful:

So you won't be getting a W-2 at all?  
If you have foreign earned income, but your employer doesn't furnish an actual W-2, I recently made some screen images for another user at this thread whose foreign employer does not provide a W-2:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4157860-i-work-in-the-middle-east-the-company-don-t-issue-w-2-form...>

Yes, I am a US citizen. Thank you very much for your help! I will try that now and will update this comment with the outcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies