Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member


23 years old, will be filing as independent (not claimed on my parents taxes) for the 2022 year.  I work in NYC, and  As of April 1, I am living and paying rent in nyc.  My commission paychecks seem to be taxed at a very high rate.  How can I determine if I will be getting a refund of some of these withholdings when I file my taxes?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert


Hi LM1-1999, I understand it can seem like so much taxes are being withheld , and especially harder since you do not have a 2021 tax return as a starting point.  There is a refund calculator, and at this point has not updated for 2022, but you can use as a tool and keep checking for 2022.


You may want to walk through the W-4 Calculator to determine if you are having the correct amount withheld,


Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.


I hope you find this helpful!


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings