Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gvmnt is robbing me. I had marketplace insurance and it said it was going to be based on my tax credits and stuff. I NEVER used the insurance and I want my full refund.

The people aren't fully equipped to tell you what's going on really with what you're doing and you just think that oh great I have great insurance now no they're robbing you I would have never gotten the insurance had I not been f****** lied to
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Gvmnt is robbing me. I had marketplace insurance and it said it was going to be based on my tax credits and stuff. I NEVER used the insurance and I want my full refund.

No one can see your tax return, so we do not know what you mean when you say the government is robbing you.   We can tell that you have some sort of problem or confusion over your marketplace insurance and your 1095A, but you will need to explain more clearly what the issue is so we can be helpful to you.

If we had to guess at the problem, my best guess would be that you estimated your 2023 income when you applied for the marketplace insurance and ended up making more income than you expected to.  Are they now making you pay back some of the monthly premium amount that was paid by the government, and is that reducing your refund?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If your income is less than 400% of the Federal Poverty Level for your family size, you can qualify for the Premium Tax Credit.  If you underestimated your income when you signed up for the marketplace insurance, you would be liable to pay some or all of the Advanced Premium Tax Credit back even if you do not get sick or injured or use the insurance at all during the year. 

Basically, when you file your taxes at the end of the year, if you have Marketplace insurance and received the credit, you will include form 8962 with your return which reconciles what you received with what you were eligible to receive.  If you received too much, you have to pay it back when you file your taxes.  If you received too little, then you would get a refund (or a reduction in what you owe) of what you didn't get but should have. 

What is the Premium Tax Credit (PTC) and What is Tax Form 8962?

How to Reconcile Your Premium Tax Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies