Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Grantor Trust

Does Turbo Tax Support Grantor Trust returns?

Also, my brother and I inherited a home from our parents a few years ago.  We put it into a a grantor trust where we both are 50/50 owners.

We rent that home out.

Do we get a grantor letter from that trust to pick up the loss (it appears we will have a small loss after the expenses) on each of our taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Grantor Trust

@globug666 wrote:

Does Turbo Tax Support Grantor Trust returns?

TurboTax Business supports the preparation of grantor trust returns (1041).

Seehttps://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/cd-download

Note that there are optional methods of filing for grantor trusts.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#en_US_2023_publink1000286018

Grantor Trust

yes

however there are alternatives to filing the 1041

First Alternative
One alternative method allows the trustee of the trust to file Forms 1099 in lieu of a Form 1041 (see Regs. Sec. 1.671-4(b)(2)(iii)). In that case, the ownership of the assets themselves is listed in the normal way with the payor, so that income is initially reported as taxable to the trust. However, the taxability of that income is shifted to the deemed owner when the trustee prepares Forms 1099 showing the trust itself as the payor, and the deemed owner as the payee. As a practical matter, though, if there are multiple types of income (dividends, interest, rent, etc.) or multiple sale transactions, this method may not be any easier than filing a Form 1041. Furthermore, as described below, unless the deemed owner is the trustee or a co-trustee, filing Forms 1099 does not negate the trustee’s duty to prepare the grantor tax information letter and send it to the deemed owner to be reported on his or her personal return. In that situation, filing Forms 1099 involves virtually as much effort as filing Form 1041.

Second Alternative
The other alternative, however, is a relatively easy way to avoid filing either a Form 1041 or Forms 1099. This involves the way the ownership of the trust’s assets is listed with the payor. Specifically, Regs. Sec. 1.671-4(b)(2)(i)(A) is available as long as the grantor trust is treated as owned by only one person. In this scenario, the trustee furnishes to all payors of income the following information, so that Forms 1099 or Schedules K-1 y be) are issued using:

The grantor’s name;
The grantor’s taxpayer identification number (i.e., Social Security number (SSN)); and
The trustee’s address.
In this alternative, the income is reported to the IRS as being taxable directly to the deemed owner who reports them as if the trust did not exist. This allows the IRS to computer match the income directly against the income shown on the individual’s Form 1040.

Grantor Trust

We have an EIN and the letter states to file 1041 and my brother wants to file that.  So we can take the loss on our taxes?  (It is a small one, but still a loss). 

and each of us get our portion on the grantor letter correct?

Grantor Trust

If it's a grantor trust, you can take a loss since the trust is disregarded for federal income tax purposes. 

You and your brother are considered to be owner of the assets. 

Since you have an EIN, though, if you gave that EIN to any payers of income, then you need to file 1041 and issue a grantor information statement to you and your brother. Otherwise, you can report directly on your individual income tax returns.

Grantor Trust

Thank you so much

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies