Poenoodles

Grandparent claimed my dependent

So  I let my Mother, my children's grandparents to claim my children because they did live with her while we remodeled our house. They were able to come back late spring when we got their new bedroom furniture in, which I can show that much. But she claimed them for the whole year this time without asking me because she says she needs the taxes and stimulus money for medical expenses.  I only have proof starting when the kids went back to school and dental appointments.  What can I do to fight this. She is refusing to change her return. 

pattif12

Grandparent claimed my dependent

If your children lived with you for more than half of the year, and you provided more than half of their support; then you are eligible to claim them.

Here is some information about the requirements necessary to claim dependents:  Claiming a Dependent

• The best thing for you to do, is to claim your children on your tax return and file it by mail. 
  • The IRS will then send letters late in the year to you and to anyone else who has listed them on their tax return requesting support for the claim that they are the dependents of the filer.  
  • The IRS will process the return that you have filed as you have filed it.
  • The IRS will then adjust the incorrect tax return and that taxpayer will be responsible for paying back any refunds that should not have been paid, plus penalties and interest.  If certain credits are claimed on the return, such as the Earned Income Credit, the taxpayer can be barred from claiming this credit for up to ten years. 

They IRS will not give you any information about who claimed your children, but if the children are your dependents your return will not be altered.  

charles_rickerso

Grandparent claimed my dependent

The stimulus is suppose to go towards the kids, not for her own needs. It's like saying I'm more important than your kids, I want "THEIR" stimulus all to myself. Hope it works out for you :(