Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gift tax deduction

I contyributed $i000 to our Resident Council Employee Christmas Gift fund at the retirement home where I reside. It will be combined with other resident gifts and distributed to the employees as a gift in appreciation for all their work for us thruout the year. Can this be a tax deduction for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

gift tax deduction

Thanks for joining us today, Domer 1956!

It was very kind of you to contribute money to your Resident Council Employee Gift Fund where you live. Unfortunately this is not tax deductible, unless it is 501(c)(3) Organization. (a charitable organization designated by the IRS).

Here is a great resource that discusses Charitable Giving and Taxes:

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/charitable-giving-and-your-taxes-7604/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

KNDavis
Employee Tax Expert

gift tax deduction

Hi Domer1956!  

In order for a gift to be tax deductible, the recipient must be a qualified organization as defined by the IRS.  You may want to check to see if the Resident Council Employee Christmas Gift fund is considered a qualified organization.  However, based on your description of the fund, I don't believe it would qualify.  Only organizations whose purpose is charitable, religious, scientific, literary or educational, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals will qualify.

Then IRS has an online directory that you can search to see if the organization is eligible to receive tax deductible contributions.  You can search here.  

Your contribution to the Gift Fund is a lovely idea, but you won't be able to take a tax deduction for it.

Thank you for participating in today's Ask The Expert Event!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies