Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting IND-181-01 - Protection PIN (IP PIN) for the first taxpayer on your return is missing. Have PIN from IRS but it is a 6 digit code and the eFile PIN is 5.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Getting IND-181-01 - Protection PIN (IP PIN) for the first taxpayer on your return is missing. Have PIN from IRS but it is a 6 digit code and the eFile PIN is 5.

To enter your IRS 6 digit ID Pin number in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

In TurboTax Online, open your tax return
Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income
Follow the questionnaire until you arrive at the question: Did you experience identity theft and receive an Identity Protection Pin (IP PIN) from the IRS?
Reply Yes
On the next page, scroll down to Other Return Info and click Show More
Click Start on Identity Protection PIN

Not sure how but when stepping through that section I missed it so when I got the filing rejection and I clicked on the "Fix It" link it did not take me back.  I finally go someone in support and they had me click on the search icon and enter "IP PIN" and it provided a link straight to that section where I was able to enter the 6 digit PIN.  It sounds like the same section you described so thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies