turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cris
Level 3

General Question about Nondeductible IRA Contributions and Total Basis

Every year we fill out an 8606 form to carry forward our Traditional IRA nondeductible total basis for my wife and my non-deductible contributions (thanks TurboTax for keeping track of that from year to year), but I am not totally clear as to why I do that.  I assume it becomes important once I start taking my RMDs (which I have not yet done).  Will you explain why it is important to keep track of the total nondeductible basis and how this reduces my taxes in the future?

For illustration purposes let's say (hypothetically) I have $100K of total nondeductible basis and a total current value of $400K in my traditional IRA. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The 8606 is critical, great job! Without that form, you would be paying taxes on $400,000 as you take the money out over time. However, thanks to the 8606, you will only be paying taxes on $300,000 over time. The IRS can and has asked for over 20 years of form 8606 filings to be presented when not filed each year as it should have been.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The 8606 is critical, great job! Without that form, you would be paying taxes on $400,000 as you take the money out over time. However, thanks to the 8606, you will only be paying taxes on $300,000 over time. The IRS can and has asked for over 20 years of form 8606 filings to be presented when not filed each year as it should have been.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cris
Level 3

Great answer that makes perfect sense, Amy!  Thanks for helping me understand this topic.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies