• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Donald-g-goins

Furnace replacement.

I had to replace the furnace in my house, and was wondering if I can claim that as a major purchase? Thanks.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

Furnace replacement.

No.  Major purchase is misleading.  Later on the program will clarify that for the sales tax deduction, the only thing you can add to the standard amount is purchase of a motor vehicle, aircraft, new home, or major renovation to a home.  

However, if the furnace meets energy efficiency standards you may qualify for a 10% credit up to $300.
*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Opus 17
Level 15

Furnace replacement.

No.  Major purchase is misleading.  Later on the program will clarify that for the sales tax deduction, the only thing you can add to the standard amount is purchase of a motor vehicle, aircraft, new home, or major renovation to a home.  

However, if the furnace meets energy efficiency standards you may qualify for a 10% credit up to $300.
*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Donald-g-goins

Furnace replacement.

How do I know if the new furnace is energy efficiency standards?
Opus 17
Level 15

Furnace replacement.

The tax instructions say the furnace must have an annual fuel utilization rate (AFUE) of 95 or higher.  Ask the vendor or manufacturer, or check the instruction manual or other documentation.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v