Donald-g-goins

Furnace replacement.

I had to replace the furnace in my house, and was wondering if I can claim that as a major purchase? Thanks.

Furnace replacement.

No.  Major purchase is misleading.  Later on the program will clarify that for the sales tax deduction, the only thing you can add to the standard amount is purchase of a motor vehicle, aircraft, new home, or major renovation to a home.  

However, if the furnace meets energy efficiency standards you may qualify for a 10% credit up to $300.

Furnace replacement.

Donald-g-goins

Furnace replacement.

How do I know if the new furnace is energy efficiency standards?

Furnace replacement.

The tax instructions say the furnace must have an annual fuel utilization rate (AFUE) of 95 or higher.  Ask the vendor or manufacturer, or check the instruction manual or other documentation.