RL124

Freelance work from home in California

I plan to start working as an independent consultant. All my work will be done on the computer/phone while I am physically at home, which is located in California. I have two questions:
1. If my clients are not based in California, do I need to report my income to California state?

2. If I incorporate an LLC, must it be formed or registered in California?

tagteam

Freelance work from home in California

You should seek professional guidance with respect to organizing an LLC.

Regardless, the state can impose an income tax upon you since you are a resident of the state.

Further, California (as do most states) require foreign LLCs (i.e., LLCs organized in other states) to register as doing business in the state. 

tagteam

Freelance work from home in California

rjs

Freelance work from home in California

To clarify, since you are a California resident, all of your income is subject to California tax, no matter where the income is from. You must report all of your income on your California tax return.