Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FREE state filing using TT desktop product if you qualify?

Can you get FREE state filing using TT desktop product if you qualify? I dont see that option even though I qualify.

To Qualify  . . .

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

W-2 income
Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
IRS standard deduction
Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
Child Tax Credit (CTC)
Student loan interest deduction

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

You are confusing the information for the online Free Edition and the CD/download.  The CD/download--also called desktop software--is never free.  You purchase it from TurboTax or from various retailers.

CD/DOWNLOAD (This requires a full PC or Mac—-cannot be used on a mobile device)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

You can also purchase the CD/download from various retailers such as Costco, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Staples, Sam’s Club, etc. etc. etc.

This link Where can I obtain authentic TurboTax software? has a list of authorized TurboTax resellers.

When you use desktop software, there is an additional fee to e-file a state return.  You can avoid that fee if you print, sign and mail the state return.  The state e-file fee is $20 and increases to $25 in March.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

ONLINE 2022

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

And just so you know—online prices go up in March—Pay your fee before then to lock in the discount

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No, I'm not confusing the free on line addition with the desktop version. I'm not asking about the program being free . . . I'm talking about the submitting the form to the Franchise Tax board. I always pay for the program but I don't want to pay to FILE a simple tax return to FTB. The last two years I took the info from TT and entered it in on the FTB web page but both times they sent me a letter asking for more info before they would send my refund. This year they wanted me to fax them a copy of my Social Security Card (same number Ive been using for 58 years) and I haven't changed my address or bank account for 45 years either.

They should not charge that much to transmit a very simple tax return for someone on Social Security Income.

The criteria you listed in your original posting was the criteria to use online Free Edition.  That criteria has nothing to do with using desktop software---thus the question.

Not sure what you are trying to do or which software you are using now.    You say you are on Social Security.   If Social Security is your only income you are not required to file a federal tax return or a CA tax return.  CA does not tax Social Security.  Or do you have other sorts of income besides the SS?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You keep posting words without actually answering the question. The qualifying for a free filing does not say it's for the on-line only version in any article I have found. It's free to FILE the federal return for paid desktop software. All I'm asking is if there's some way to file the STATE return for free using TT desktop PAID FOR software. None of the stated qualifications is that you must use the on-line version.

It's a YES or NO question.

If you have desktop software----the CD/download----and it included the state software to prepare the state return----then you can file a state return for free if you print and mail it instead of e-filing it.  If you e-file it you pay a $25 state e-file fee.  If you mail it, it costs you for a stamp.

I asked about FILING it with the software, not printing it.
I'm not asking for other options that I obviously already know about.

It was a YES or NO question.

Sorry----my replies are not seeming to get through to you.  You cannot e-file the state for free. So--NO.  When you have desktop software you pay to e-file it.  

If you have the desktop software you can only file it by mail for free.  And in order to file it by mail, you must print it, sign and date it in ink, then put it into an envelope and mail it.  

You FINALY answered but as far as filing it for free what you said is not true. You should not make false statements. I can simply log into my state web site and enter the information there for free. I just would rather not do that work twice.

Of course you can use your state's site for free.    Your questions were asking if you could file the state for free using TurboTax.  You very specifically mentioned using desktop software, and also complained about the stuff you went though the last time you used your state's tax site.  I am a volunteer----trying to help you--not a paid TT employee.   But I am done.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies