Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trcolw1
Returning Member

Former passive activity (rental property) sold - what form used for reporting suspended losses

In 2021, I had two rental properties (A and B).  Property A was taken out of rental service in late 2021 and my entire interest in Property A was sold to a non-relative in 2022 for a gain.  Property A was not rented at all in 2022, the year of sale (unoccupied).  As a rental property, Property A generated suspended losses for several years.

As I understand it, Property A became a former passive activity in 2021 when it was removed from rental service.  Am I correct in thinking the 2022 Form 8582 should not contain any entries related to Property A since it is no longer a passive activity?  If that's the case, on what form should I report the suspended losses that have accumulated (line 22, Schedule E, with no other rental income or expenses?)

Your help is very much appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Former passive activity (rental property) sold - what form used for reporting suspended losses

Yes, because you have taken the rental property out of service, Form 8582 will not contain any new entries of information.   Because you have disposed of the rental property, you begin the process of entering this disposition in the Rental Properties and Royalties section of TurboTax. To find this section in TurboTax CD/download, select the Business tab, then Business Income and Expenses.  Scroll down the screen and select Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E).  

When you get to the screen Review Your [name of rental property] Rental Summary, select Property Profile.  At the screen, Do Any of These Situations Apply to this Property, select the options that relate to the sale of your rental property as well as those options that relate to carryover losses.  Continue through the application, and you should see the screen, Passive Losses From Prior Years where you can enter your suspended losses.

If you are using TurboTax online, the process is similar.  Here are the steps to follow:

1. You access Rental Properties and Royalties after selecting Wages & Income (left margin).  
  2. At the rental summary screen, select Edit across from Rental property info (near the top of the screen).  
  3. At the screen, Review your rental property info, select Edit under Situations in the General info section.   
  4. The next screen, Tell us about your situation this year, is where you can begin the process of entering information about the disposition or your rental property.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies