Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 7206

According to the instructions for Line 17 of Schedule 1, I do NOT need to use Form 7206.  That's because I have Marketplace premiums reported on 1095-A, and I did NOT make advance payments of the premium tax credit and am NOT claiming the premium tax credit  That said, I am supposed to use the 1040 Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction Worksheet, not Form 7206.  My 1095-A insurance premiums are correctly linking to my Schedule 1, Line 17.  That should be the end of it.

Nevertheless, Turbotax Online is auto-generating and not allowing me to delete Form 7206.  I would be fine with filing an unnecessary Form 7206 if it weren't incorrect.  Inaccurately, it is BLANK (no entry) on Lines 1 and 3, when I believe it should show the aforesaid Marketplace premiums for myself as a self-employed sole proprietor.  Turbotax correctly links my 1095-A to my Schedule 1, Line 17 but fails to tie it to Form 7206.  As a result, Form 7206, Line 14 incorrectly says $0 for the self-employed health insurance deduction, which contradicts Schedule 1, Line 17.  This is inaccurate and I do not want to file with inaccuracies.  I tried just deleting Form 7206 by going to "Tax Tools" and selecting the delete button next to Form 7206, but it keeps re-appearing (perhaps because Turbotax also needlessly auto-generates Form 8962, which I also can't seem to delete).

Please help!  Although my Schedule 1 is correct, I do not want to file with an inaccurate Form 7206, as I suspect the inconsistency may trigger an audit.

I called your support line and talked to someone for at least an hour. She was not able to answer the question after multiple attempts. She said she would be back to me.  I have a ticket number. 
I am very frustrated with this process and others have posted about it as well. 

Please advise on what Turbo Tax is doing to resolve this issue for form 7206 which is new in 2023. Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Form 7206

Please run all of your TurboTax updates.  You should run all of your updates when logging into TurboTax.

If you're on a PC, go in to your TurboTax program and select Check for Updates from the Online menu (top of screen). 

On a Mac, leave and go back in to TurboTax. If updates are available, you will get a prompt to download them.

Troubleshooting Tips:

• Use a wired, high-speed connection, this will save time and minimize any data corruption.
  • Did your connection drop in the middle of the update?  Try again; it will pick up where it left off.
  • If you're having trouble updating on your PC, try a manual update.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 7206

I did run all the updates. There is no fix for this issue. Form 7206 cannot be deleted and it is incorrect. Please open a ticket for Turbo Tax to fix this issue. 

Form 7206

I am having almost the identical problem with the Desktop product.  Form 7206 is not required in my case because of the following exception in the instructions:

"Generally, you can use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure your deduction. However, if any of the following apply, you must use Form 7206.

• You had more than one source of income subject to self-employment tax.

• You file Form 2555.

• You are using amounts paid for qualified long-term care insurance to figure the deduction."

None of the above apply, so I don't have to use 7206.  I wouldn't mind filing 7206 if I could correct the Form to populate line 1 (which shows no number) without causing the self-employed deduction to show up as double on the Schedule 1. The return has bounced twice, with the note the second time to delete 7206 if not necessary.  But every time I delete it in "Forms", it pops up again.

Any help would be appreciated.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Form 7206

When you delete the form, you will also need to delete any related worksheets. See if that works and if not, let us know.

Form 7206

There are no related worksheets to form 7206 so there are no other worksheets to delete. So NO, this solution does not work. 

Form 7206

No solutions work.  TurboTax Desktop for Windows will not allow 7206 to be deleted, and I agree with @iusdm1 that there are no associated worksheets to delete.  TurboTax will allow me to enter the deduction in line 1 of 7206, but it will not allow me to override the number that already populated in line 17 in Schedule 1, with the result that the deduction is overstated. 

The fact that the e-file rejection message suggests deleting 7206 (but that you can't do it), or correcting errors in that Form (but won't let you override other errors that pop up elsewhere as a result) is infuriating.  

Can someone who is actively managing programming TurboTax please get on this thread and let us know if this problem is being worked on, or if there is a work around other than a paper filing?  Hundreds of thousands of people are going to have this issue.

And yes, my software is up to date.

Form 7206

I have exactly the same issue.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Form 7206

Take a look at the following TurboTax help article and click the link to register your email address for notifications as this situation is addressed:

Why is TurboTax adding an incomplete Form 7206 when I'm not required to file it?

@iusdcm1 

@dsmccar 

@Matttax 

Form 7206

I have the same exact issue as stated in the original post. An extraneous form 7206 with 0 on line 14, but I have a valid non-zero self-employed health insurance deduction correctly computed by the worksheet.   Is there any update on this issue?

Thanks,

Steve

Form 7206

The link in this post by AnnetteB6 does not work

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Form 7206

This is a know issue. You can sign up for updates here: Why isn't my MAGI on Form 8582 not including my full self-employment health deduction?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies