turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 7206 Home and Business Desktop Windows 11 with R0000-058-01 Error - cannot be filed

I'm running Windows 11 TT Home and Business Desktop version and I keep getting an error message based on the following rejection code R0000-058-01:

An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file.  

Data in the return is missing or invalid and cannot be electronically filed at this time. If Form 7206(s) are in the return, review the form(s) for accuracy and errors. If the form(s) is attached in error delete it and resubmit the return for electronic filing. If necessary, make the appropriate change and re-submit this return electronically. However, if the reject continues, file this return via U.S. Mail, print this federal return and mail it to the appropriate IRS Service"

I must file Form 7206 to claim the small business Long Term Care insurance deduction (we do not have any other health insurance premiums so only lines 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13, and 14 have data in them).

I have cleared cache/cookies, I have reloaded TT, I forced a manual update even though TT says I have the latest updates, I have deleted Form 7206 and re-entered the data and created the form again.....nothing is helping.   Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Form 7206 Home and Business Desktop Windows 11 with R0000-058-01 Error - cannot be filed

Some TurboTax customers may be experiencing an issue/error because TurboTax is adding an incomplete Form 7206 when customers are not required to file it after entering a 1095-A with the box checked for "I'm self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan".

We’re currently working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress updates, sign up below.

Sign In For Updates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Cynthiad66 Thanks for the 'generic' reply, but please read my post - I MUST file Form 7206 because we're claiming Long Term Care premium deduction.   So my issue is not the same as those who are having a Form 7206 created by mistake, or two Form 7206's being created and one without data.   Mine is only one Form 7206, it is created 'correctly' but apparently is not being assigned the correct valid reference since it is a binary attachment.     There are others posting under multiple subjects with similar issue.  Thank you for reviewing.  

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The development team has been made aware of the e-filing rejection code that seems related to Form 7206.  They are working to resolve this and request that you use the link in the following TurboTax help article to register your email address for notifications.  The expectation is that this will be resolved in the March 29th program update.

Why is TurboTax adding an incomplete Form 7206 when I'm not required to file it?

I'm getting the same rejection messages. My return does not have any attachments, but I do need to file a Form 7206 created by TTH&B. It looks complete and I have not overridden any data (nor checked the source forms to verify that TT mapped the numbers correctly).  I saw in other threads that this issue was expected to be fixed in February, then early March. I guess I will try to refile after March 29. Thanks.

I also continue to get this error (on Windows TurboTax Deluxe). I need to file a Form 7206, and I have ensured that my form is fully filled out in the app. I have attempted to submit multiple times, and always get the "R0000-058-01 - An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file" error.

In past attempts, the app told me to wait and re-submit later. This latest time however the app has told me that I must submit my returns manually (in Check e-File Status, Help Me Fix It: "This return cannot be electronically processed. To file this return, print and mail it to the IRS Service Center").

Intuit, are you really no longer trying to solve this problem?

@bbartinsd : Online E-filing of 7206 works fine. E-filing from desktop is the issue. There are multiple threads on this issue. It's coding error on TT's part. This issue isn't generating the sense of urgency for TT to treat it with priority. Tax deadline is approaching. Expected more and better from TT.

@bbartinsd 

Turns out this issue may not get resolved by Apr. 15. Will have to mail the returns.

Check out @AnnetteB6's response at:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-efile-rejected-with-code-r0000-058-01-this-app...

@bbartinsd:

I wish TT team helps us with importing our tax file to online version and a code to e-file online. It seems there hasn't been any issues with 7206 when e-filed online. 

There is an issue with trying to e file online.  Mine has been rejected twice. I don't even have to file form7206.don't know why it is even included...  ????

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The development team has given us an update with regard to customers who are receiving the Reject Code R0000-058-01 when trying to electronically file your return.  The resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline. 

For reference, this information is from the IRS Instructions for Form 7206

Generally, you can use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure your deduction. However, if any of the following apply, you must use Form 7206.

• You had more than one source of income subject to self-employment tax.
  • You file Form 2555.
  • You are using amounts paid for qualified long-term care insurance to figure the deduction.

In order to proceed and get your return filed in a timely manner, please follow this advice:

1 - If you are required to include Form 7206 as a part of your tax return based on the information above, then you need to print and mail your return.  Electronic filing will not be an option if the reject code persists. 

2 - If you are not required to include Form 7206 as part of your tax return, then you can attempt to delete the Form 7206 and try electronically filing your return once again.  If the form cannot be deleted or you still get the reject code, then you need to print and mail your return. 

Use the steps in the following TurboTax help articles to delete Form 7206:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop (Windows or Mac)?

Has this issue been fixed? I updated to the latest version this morning but it looks like entry 1 is still blank? Please give us a status this must be happening to many, many self employed people.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

There are two issues with the 7206.

If you are having a calculation issue, This is a know issue. You can sign up for updates here: Why isn't my MAGI on Form 8582 not including my full self-employment health deduction?

If you are getting a rejection, the development team has given us an update with regard to customers who are receiving the Reject Code R0000-058-01 when trying to electronically file your return.  The resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline. 

For reference, this information is from the IRS Instructions for Form 7206

Generally, you can use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure your deduction. However, if any of the following apply, you must use Form 7206.

• You had more than one source of income subject to self-employment tax.
  • You file Form 2555.
  • You are using amounts paid for qualified long-term care insurance to figure the deduction.

In order to proceed and get your return filed in a timely manner, please follow this advice:

1 - If you are required to include Form 7206 as a part of your tax return based on the information above, then you need to print and mail your return.  Electronic filing will not be an option if the reject code persists. 

2 - If you are not required to include Form 7206 as part of your tax return, then you can attempt to delete the Form 7206 and try electronically filing your return once again.  If the form cannot be deleted or you still get the reject code, then you need to print and mail your return. 

Use the steps in the following TurboTax help articles to delete Form 7206:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop (Windows or Mac)?

we were hoping for the fix being in today's update. Do you know if that fix was included. specifically, my problem is rejecting the return. 

Same error as above.  Really it can't be fixed by filing date?  Isn't this why i use the product?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies