Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 709 (Gift Tax)

Sorry for bringing this up again.  I've learned a lot in this forum, but still nervous.  I've never completed a Form 709 (Gift Tax).  The gift is very simple, from myself and my wife, to our son and daughter-in-law.  The gift amount exceeds our joint exemption.  This is the first time either my wife, or I, have exceeded our annual exemption.  I am concerned I might do something wrong filling in the form.  Is there anyone available that knows this stuff that can complete the form for us?  I don't have an accountant, I have always been able to complete our tax return myself, using TurboTax.  Even examples of the completed form, with a similar scenario would help.   Thanks everyone.        

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Form 709 (Gift Tax)

TurboTax does not assist with Form 709 since it is not an income tax form.  You do not prepare it as part of an individual income tax form.  It is a separate tax form.   If you have questions someone might respond in this forum, but you will not be able to get a TurboTax expert to take on a Form 709.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Form 709 (Gift Tax)

Yes I knew that, I only mentioned TurboTax to explain why I don't have access to an accountant, or tax expert.  I do understand that gift tax is totally separate from the income tax return.  Thank you. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Form 709 (Gift Tax)

Here is a post from Yahoo Finance with some information about completing the form.

@JohnASmith 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 709 (Gift Tax)

Thank you, I'll check that out. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies