Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 2210 needed if in declared disaster area

I reside in a California county that was subject to major winter storms. Both the IRS and CA Franchise Tax Board waived the need to make 2022 estimated tax payments in January 2023.  Both agencies also waived the requirement to file your taxes until October 16, 2023 without requesting an extension.  My 1040 shows a $48 underpayment of estimated taxes penalty.  Do I need to file form 2210 to waive that penalty.  Also Turbotax does not recognize my disaster status and still shows me as having to file April 18, 2023.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

The IRS can waive the underpayment penalty in the event of a natural disaster. If you have been impacted by a federally declared disaster area, please revisit the topic of Underpayment Penalties under Other Tax Situations and answer accordingly based on your situation.

Penalty relief is not automatic and needs to be requested by the taxpayer.

When you get to the question about Penalty Waivers, which includes disaster declarations, answer Yes. Answer Yes to whether you want to request a penalty waiver. TurboTax provides an entry field for an explanation to be included in your tax return as to why you qualify for a waiver of the penalty.

For 2022, most counties in California and parts of Georgia and Alabama have been declared natural disaster areas. In these areas you have until October 16, 2023, to make your final estimated payment for tax year 2022 which was due on January 15th, 2023.

For further information regarding California disaster relief for tax year 2022, please refer to this IRS webpage.

[Edited 03/06/23| 9:29am PST] 

@ tuteurjohn 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Many thanks for the helpful and articulate response, MonikaK.  I will be paying the balance of the return on October 16, 2023 so making an estimated payment the same day for the prior year makes little sense to me.  I will submit 2210 plus the California equivalent with my returns.

Presumably this is confirmed knowledge @tuteurjohn - as I'm going to have to do the same, by attaching the Form 2210 and noting the disaster area declaration in the comment section as the reason for the penalty waiver (for me its $ 137)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies