turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 2106 Added even though I answered "NO".

Turbotax Premier 2019 added an "Employment Expenses" section even though I clicked "NO". After asking me if I had Teacher expenses, and I answered no, it moved on to employment expenses. Again I answered "NO". But then It asked me for my occupation, and then a bunch of employment expense questions. And then it added form 2106. Bottom line is, I answered "NO" to the question about employment expenses, but Turbo Tax Premier for 2019 ignored my NO. What now? Is this required? And why ignore my NO and ask questions and create a useless form? And just for me, not my spouse.  I answered NO, but that was ignored, and thus it created a useless form 2106 with occupation listed as UNKNOWN. And that was for me. It did not go through this for my spouse? 1st, why ignore my no and create the form, and two, my then not for my spouse? What now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am not sure why the Form 2106 is being created. Per the new law Tax Cuts and Jobs Act TCJA, the Form 2106 has already been suspended for employee-related expenses.  

If you have not filed, you can simply remove this form from the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, Select Tax Tools/drop-down menu
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose to Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 2106 and Continue with My Return to proceed

If you are using the desktop version, 

• Open up your tax return if you have not already done so.
  • At the right upper corner, select Forms mode
  • In the Forms mode, the left side shows a list of all the generated forms, locate and click on Form 2106 and any related worksheets
  • At the bottom of that form, click Delete Form

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You. It looks like I can also delete it from within TT in the listing of credits where it says occupation unknown, and then $0 next to it. If I hit edit, it gives me an option to delete the form. What is odd, is TT asks me if I had Teacher expenses, and I answered no. Thus it moved on to "employment expenses". Again I answered "NO". But rather than move on, TT asked me for my occupation, as if it did not understand I said "NO". It ignored my "NO", and then a bunch of employment expense questions had to be answered. And even though I entered nothing at all, after saying NO to employment expenses, TT added form 2106, with occupation listed as UNKNOWN. Bottom line is, I answered "NO" to the question about employment expenses, but Turbo Tax ignored my NO. What is also odd, it did this just for me. NOT for my spouse. 1st, why ignore my no, and create the form, and two, why then not for my spouse as well? Can I just delete it and not run into issues with the IRS? I have read others, where the IRS sent them a letter, wondering where the form was. Is this a TT programing issue? And how safe is it to delete, without hearing from the IRS? Question to TT, why did you ignore our NO's to begin with and create the form.

megh2010
Returning Member

Deleting the form does NOT work.  ALso, the form is used by qualified employees in 2019, but not most of us.  However, there is definitely an error in TT and it's a pain the rear this year!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies