Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 14039 Confusion

An attempt to use my identity was detected by Norton Lifelock and blocked. In Turbo Tax I answered that I experienced identity thrft. Turbo Tax is now instructing me to submit form 14309 (which is not yet released). However when I investigate in the IRS web site it instructs to submit form 14039 only if your tax return has been rejected by IRS (for already being filed), or if the IRS has already contacted you to submit the form. In my case neither of these are true, but Turbo Tax still instructs me to submit form 14309.  Which is correct? For reference here is the IRS instruction link ....  https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/when-to-file-a-[product key removed]ity-theft-affidavit

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Form 14039 Confusion

You can ask the IRS for an IP Pin and put it into TurboTax or you can uncheck that box.
Get An Identity Protection PIN | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Form 14039 Confusion

Thank you for your reply and the options that you have listed. I think that I will wait until ~3/17 to see if the form will be released by TurboTax in an update. Even then I am thinking to delete the identity theft entry since to my understanding (based on the IRS web site), form 14309 should not be submitted to the IRS in my case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies