Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1099-B Missing Cost or Other Basis

I received Form 1099-B with 2 boxes missing information: date acquired (box 1b) and cost or other basis (box 1c).  I imagine this is in direct result of the original fund being absorbed then reabsorbed over the years.  Should I estimate the date acquired?  And how should I handle the missing information from box 1c?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may have retained records and other information from the original fund purchase that would give you direction on the date acquired and cost or other basis.  You may have to make educated estimates.

Without a date, the 1099-B likely does not report long-term or short-term treatment.  If you have owned the investment for more than one year, you will qualify for long-term capital gain treatment.

Retain copies of the records that you use to determine the date acquired and cost or other basis should the tax authorities have questions about your tax return at a later time.

@heatherm6 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply to my question.  I can certainly estimate the date but not the cost basis.  This was given to me by a family member more than 25 years ago.  In the absence of having that, is there a recommendation?  $0 dollars for cost  basis?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

If you can estimate the date, then you might consider a search through Yahoo Finance or another financial search engine.  For equities, Yahoo Finance can go back more than twenty years.   If the fund's name has changed, you might consider doing a search using Google to determine prior names of the fund.  If you decide to use zero as the cost basis, you probably will not be penalized for underreporting the tax as all of your proceeds will be subject to capital gains tax, probably long-term based on what you stated in your post. 

@heatherm6 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies