Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1041 for Estate and NJ Form 1041 problem

I am completing an Estate Income Tax Return (first and final) for an NJ Estate using TurboTax Business. On the Federal Form 1041, let's say I have $47,000 capital gains, and I can deduct $5000 real estate tax on the Federal return (but not the NJ State one). On Schedule B,Income Distribution Deduction the Adjusted total income (Line 1) is $42,000. ($47K minus $5K).  It seems like that should be the number on Line 9 Income to be distributed currently. But if I do that, this lower number carries through to NJ, Schedule B Line 48A, for Beneficiary's Distribution. But I am not permitted to deduct real etate taxes for the NJ Form 1041, so the Beneficiary's Distribution for NJ should be $47,000, not $42,000, right? Otherwise, it is $5K too low for NJ. Consequently, the NJ Form 1041 will show tax due, because the distribution is $5,000 less than it should be so it shows taxable income to the Estate, rather than passing through ALL the income to the Beneficiary. The only workaround I found in order to carry through the $47K Beneficiary distribution to NJ, was to input a $47K distribution for Federal, too, resulting in Line 9 being $47k instead of $42K. Having never done a Form 1041 before, I may simply not understand this? TurboTax forces me to choose a number for this, rather than calculating it automatically, so I am let uncertain about whether this is correct. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Is that the way TT Business is programmed? Seems like it. You might have to make the NJ adjustment in forms view.

It seems to put my Federal entry (that subtracted the $5K) directly onto NJ 1041 Schedule B 48a for the Beneficiary Share, leaving $5K income to be taxed! Seems like I should manually enter the higher number ($47K) onto the NJ Schedule B, but if so, how do I proceed to do that? Thanks.

M-MTax
Level 10

Again....not sure but try forms view.

• Thanks, I'll try that when I can. I also wanted to confirm that my numbers are correct, in that the income distributed and the income distribution deduction numbers are different for Federal ($42K) and for State ($47K)  - by the $5K real estate tax deduction allowed for Federal but not State. Thanks.
M-MTax
Level 10

Understand....not familiar with NJ unfortunately.

Thank you. I can't change that NJ number in Forms. But I messed around with H&R Block software and it seems to do the same thing, so it appears that putting the higher number on Line 9 gets the right result. The correct amounts seem to work their way onto the K-1 and NJ K-1 this way. So, I'll give it a shot. 

I will probably go with what I did, but I was hoping for someone to definitively confirm that this is correct. I still feel a bit uncertain - I appreciate the feedback and responses nonetheless. 

Yes! I am having the same issue. Checked using paper copy and paper instructions for Nj-1041. It appears that there is not a  'deduction' for real estate property taxes paid for by the estate on form NJ-1041 like there is on the federal form 1041 (line 11).  Since there is no "deduction" on NJ-1041, it ends up treating  the amount spent on real estate property taxes as taxable income ( (line 23 of NJ-1041).  Not sure if this is correct, so hoping for  some expert tax advise here.  

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, Private123abc, I consulted with a CPA who specializes in Estate Income Tax returns and she advised me that  this is actually correct, - what TurboTax Business does here is right. NJ does tax the real estate deduction that was taken on the Federal 1041. 

So I clarified that TurboTax Business is actually doing the right thing with my NJ 1041 here.

My question now is this . I've been advised by TurboTax Support that I must paper file the Federal Form 1041 in order to Attach a Statement explaining why the Estate was open for more than 2 years. In addition, because I can't e-file the Federal 1041, I must paper file the NJ 1041 as well.

If I have to paper file the Federal 1041 and NJ 1041, presumably it will take the IRS a while to process these.

So must I also paper file the corresponding personal Federal 1040 and NJ 1040 for the Beneficiary to whom the Estate income was distributed because the K-1 and NJ K-1 will take a while to be processed by the IRS?

Or can I e-file the 1040s, even though the 1041s (including K-1 and NJ K-1) were mailed?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can go ahead and efile the personal returns with the forms. Eventually, the IRS will put it all together. Remember, the IRS is running about 4 years behind on personal return reviews so the estate will be processed before then. No worries!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! And I had no idea the IRS was running 4 years behind in processing personal returns! Even e-filed returns? I know my 2019 paper filed 1040 took forever to process but that was early pandemic conditions. That's why I assumed that paper filed returns (e.g., the 1041s) would take longer. Sounds like they are pretty overwhelmed.

Great, thanks for confirming my suspicions. !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies