turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deepakbbc

Should I be filing 1040A or 1040EZ ?

I completed filing my Tax return I see a 1040EZ statement. Shouldnt it be 1040A ? I am not sure which one should I be seeing ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

Form 1040EZ is the simplest of the three tax forms you can use to file your federal income taxes. If your taxable income is less than $100,000, you don’t claim any dependents and you file as single or are married filing jointly, then you may be eligible to file Form 1040EZ.

The only types of income you can list on Form 1040EZ is wages, salaries, tips, taxable interest of $1,500 or less, unemployment compensation and Alaska permanent fund dividends. If you have income from sources other than these, such as alimony or dividends, then you will have to file your taxes on either Form 1040 or Form 1040A.

Form 1040 A is used when you have dependents and/or if you have more complicated items in your tax return.

You would use Form 1040A if:

• Your income is only from wages, salaries, tips, interest, ordinary dividends, capital gain distributions, taxable scholarships and fellowship grants, pensions, annuities, IRAs, unemployment compensation, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and taxable social security or railroad retirement benefits
• The only adjustments to income you can claim are the IRA deduction, the student loan interest deduction, the educator expenses deduction, and the tuition and fees deduction
• You don't itemize deductions
• Your taxable income is less than $100,000
• The only tax credits you can claim are the credit for child and dependent care expenses, the credit for the elderly or the disabled, education credits, the retirement savings contributions credit, the child tax credit, the additional child tax credit, the earned income credit, and/or the premium tax credit
• You didn't have an alternative minimum tax adjustment on stock you acquired from the exercise of an incentive stock option
• You can also use Form 1040A if you received dependent care benefits or if you owe tax from the recapture of an education credit or the alternative minimum tax.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
maergo28

If you have only wages from W 2's, with no dependents and deductions and credits, you should be seeing 1040EZ

It really depends on your income and filing status on what form you will utilize.  User 1040A so you know what deductions will be available some day for you when the time comes.  1040EZ much easier to fill out but 1040A gives you more insight about taxes.

I realize that I need to complete a 1040EZ for 2015.  Why don't you have the software available?
bpeveto54

Can I change forms I’ve filed now? It hasn’t been finished yet

@bpeveto54 This is an old thread.  When you enter your information TurboTax chooses the tax return form that is appropriate for the data that you entered, whether it uses a 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040 ("long form").  If you are just wanting to change to a 1040EZ because you heard you can e-file a 1040EZ already--the IRS will not be accepting returns until January 29.  So even if you manage to e-file a return, all it will do is sit on a server until January 29.  You will not get your refund faster.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
furusa123

1040N

i need 1040ez  form

1049ez
Fern

Form 1040EZ is the simplest of the three tax forms you can use to file your federal income taxes. If your taxable income is less than $100,000, you don’t claim any dependents and you file as single or are married filing jointly, then you may be eligible to file Form 1040EZ.

The only types of income you can list on Form 1040EZ is wages, salaries, tips, taxable interest of $1,500 or less, unemployment compensation and Alaska permanent fund dividends. If you have income from sources other than these, such as alimony or dividends, then you will have to file your taxes on either Form 1040 or Form 1040A.

Form 1040 A is used when you have dependents and/or if you have more complicated items in your tax return.

You would use Form 1040A if:

• Your income is only from wages, salaries, tips, interest, ordinary dividends, capital gain distributions, taxable scholarships and fellowship grants, pensions, annuities, IRAs, unemployment compensation, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and taxable social security or railroad retirement benefits
• The only adjustments to income you can claim are the IRA deduction, the student loan interest deduction, the educator expenses deduction, and the tuition and fees deduction
• You don't itemize deductions
• Your taxable income is less than $100,000
• The only tax credits you can claim are the credit for child and dependent care expenses, the credit for the elderly or the disabled, education credits, the retirement savings contributions credit, the child tax credit, the additional child tax credit, the earned income credit, and/or the premium tax credit
• You didn't have an alternative minimum tax adjustment on stock you acquired from the exercise of an incentive stock option
• You can also use Form 1040A if you received dependent care benefits or if you owe tax from the recapture of an education credit or the alternative minimum tax.

I have begun filing but I'm sure that the filing form different than last years. How may I correct this error?

Thanks to the new tax laws, there are no more simple Form 1040EZ or 1040A's.  Everything goes on a little “postcard-size” Form 1040 that has six extra "schedules" with it, and if you need any of those schedules, you are not able to use the Free Edition.  
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040">https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040</a> 
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
nfebus816

I did not file when I file my taxes I needed to file a form for 1040 from some gambling winnings in 2017 and I didn't want to do I do

TurboTax selects the form that is appropriate for the data you entered.  Both 1040EZ and 1040A can be prepared using the Free Edition.  If you did not have any dependents you could use a 1040EZ.

alternative minimum tax for 2016 for joint filers to avoid paying paying this tax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies