Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kofian

Foreign dividends without 1099-DIV

I just found out I received foreign dividends and the institution does not provide a 1099-DIV. I will need to amend some prior year returns. Do I just input the amount since I never received a form? Additionally, will TT assist in requesting a possible penalty avoidance if I paid 90% of taxes owed after submitting the amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

use form 1099-Div to add the dividends. If you paid foreign income taxes on them, you would also need to add form 1116 if it isn't already in your return.  

sorry but if you owe, the IRS can assess a late payment penalty and interest.  They can be assessed when any payment for a year's taxes is made after the original due date. There is also interest. Turbotax does not compute these penalties and interest. For penalty abatement, you would need to attach a letter and mail in the amended return providing a reasonable cause for their omission. Interest cannot be abated. 

Kofian

Note I have not received the dividends yet, they were unable to issue the check/funds because they didn’t have the contact information. So I will get the money in May/June 2024 for dividends on paper generated in 2022 and 2023.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you have not received the dividends yet, then they will be reported in the year they are received.  Individual tax returns are typically prepared on a cash basis, meaning you would not report the income until your receive the funds.

Please see this link for guidance on entering these dividends into TurboTax.  Since the income is from foreign sources, they would be reported as foreign income since the amounts will not reported on a 1099-DIV form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies