Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1116 Comp Wks

I am having difficulty with Part I of this worksheet.

I have amounts entered in line 1c (interest and dividends) for three columns: A, B, and C.  A is a single country, B and C are RIC's.  I then go down to line h to enter Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains.  In column A, the entire amount is Qualified so I entered the same amount as line 1c.  However for columns B and C, according to my 1099div, something less than the total amount is designated as qualified.  If I enter less than the total, the difference between the total on line 1c and the amount I enter on 1h shows up on line 1g, ordinary income.  I then get a red error message.

For example, if total dividends on line 1c are $10,000 and the qualified amount on line 1h is $0, the difference of $10,000 ends up on line 1g.  But the problem is I have a red error message.

The only way I can get rid of the red error message is to make the qualified amount on line 1h equal to the total amount on line 1c.  The ending answer of the foreign tax credit allowed is correct, but the qualified amount on line 1h is not the amount reported on my 1099div.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies